Wednesday, August 5, 2009

first post!


Mind the appearance!, this blog is still under massive construction, but I've registered the domain name www.scissorface.com and made a header image I like for now so I figure I should get this underway!

So, this is my hair blog. What can you expect? Stories from the salon, pictures of my work, techniques, tips, info on tools, my own insights on the industry, you name it! I love what I do and I love babbling about it, so anything goes!

But first, a little background about me. Right now I've been working as a junior stylist at Greg May Hair Architects (see link on your right ->) for just over a year, but I took a very roundabout way of getting myself there. I like to think I was raised as a barber's assistant. My mother is a barber, and I spent a lot of time in her shop when I was young up through high school. She owns the cutest little barbershop back in Massachusetts called "Hats Off" in Northboro. It's a small place, only four chairs, four barbers and one sink. She's owned it for probably just over ten years now and really made it into her own. It's a family-oriented place, mostly men's and children's cuts, and the Red Sox account for about 99% of conversation. I would go in with her on Saturday mornings at 7:15am and there'd already be a line outside the door! I'll take another entry to go into more details about the place, but the point now I guess is that I grew up in a very inspiring hair environment, seeing my mom take a shop, but herself into it, and have it thrive like it has.

She knew since then that I was gonna get into hair, but I had no idea. When I was in high school I was very math/science oriented; I wanted to be an engineer and design rollercoasters. Then when I moved up to Toronto and went to U of T, I got into languages and started a degree in linguistics and Japanese. By my second year it had dawned on me that I really just wanted to go into hair. There was no big epiphany or anything like that, more felt like it was just something that had always innately been there that I was then growing into. So I rushed my bachelor's degree in three years(I still felt it better to have it) so that I could move onto what I really wanted to do.

Graduated back in May of last year (2008), and a month later I went in for an interview with Greg and have been working for him ever since! And boy, it amazed me how life can change in just a year when you find something you truely enjoy doing.

So this here blog will be more or less the ranting of a total HAIR NERD.

Be sure to check back regularly as I will be updating frequently, and please lemme know if there are any questions you have or topics you'd like to see talked about!


.mike

9 comments:

Tiana said...

rawr first real comment :D! new layout underwayy in the makinggggggggg. should be up in few days :D

pairof_secateurs said...

mike!

looing forward to further updates... and maybe one day i'll appear in a before/after eyebrow shot?!

sErena said...

very nice Mike :) good job!!

Anonymous said...

=D Great first intro blog! Excited to read more!

mike b. said...

Hey Mike, this is your salon sister April. I think your so cute for putting this up. I've seen many assistant's come through here and let me tell you that I knew from the beginning that you were going to make it. You're so passionate and freakin' awesome at what you do. I love working with you and I think your skill level is higher than a junior stylist so hint hint Greg if you're reading this...lol!

mike b. said...

Omg I just realized that if I do this from work it says your saying it lol.

Unknown said...

mike! you're awesome! I have this bookmarked! <3

Unknown said...

i have no idea why it says 'looshaus'...but it's steph.(cheng) :P

Anonymous said...

The fire light, see the giant salamander with eyes visible speed the deflated down, but from a side opening out countless glittering."Ah!Merlin!What is this?!"the north face coupons first ejaculations, two eyes have become galleon shape, although the brain not that smart, but has generally in a stack of gold bullion gem conversion can be replaced with the number gold galleon, is enough to buy a castle!
Then, "snapped" and "ringing in her ears open, her eyes suddenly a black.In the coffin cover up, the lights flickered like candle light burst, a chamber having an antique flavour as if time back thousands of years, she saw Qin Ge eyebrow micro convergence, eye of quiet but firm will, as discount north face jackets first held her that night, she is neither painful nor itching to tell a white lie to him but he really staring at her
"Bye, can fall?"She thought, [url=http://www.thenorthfaceoutletk.com/]north face clothing[/url] didn't know what to say, but from this sentence.Voice party falls, after a while, iron, or see his mask deep glowing eyes, before the reaction, he saw the sleeve with a whisk, Fangminghe Jing Ping two feet has a tough, steps back, even back several steps of side of herself.

[URL=http://gofarmin.com/ads/the-north-face-mens-alkaline-gtx-xcr-shoes-grey-m/]the north face men's alkaline gtx xcr shoes grey m[/URL]
[URL=http://lovesgot.us/member/blog_post_view.php?postId=30534]share your beauty with north face men's denali fle[/URL]
[URL=http://www.bestfunbuddies.com/member/blog_post_view.php?postId=2161]introduction of ghd engineering consultant[/URL]